Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Gold Medal!

My husband woke me up at 5:40 this morning screaming. No, he wasn't having a nightmare. Just the opposite. He was celebrating! His dad's team, the Canadian men's eight (rowing) won the gold medal in Beijing! Oh, maybe I should tell those who don't know me well, my father-in-law is an olympic coach for Canada. He coaches men's rowing. Ad got up and watched it live online. I don't have the nerve to watch these big races live. I have to find out the result and then watch. Yeah, so I'm a bit of a wuss. I just get too nervous. I couldn't even watch the Steelers play in the super bowl a few years back and they won too. I've never seen Ad so happy as he was this morning. He cried big fat happy tears. We went out to dinner to celebrate! We never go out to eat but hey, olympic gold medals don't come along all the often. Go Canada!

On another note, I ran a personal best this morning in the Hamot 10k. I set out to come in the top three but I came in fifth instead (out of 177 women). The competition was just too steep. Still, I averaged 6:40 miles and then nearly threw up a lung when I crossed the finish line. Later, as I watched all these two and three year-olds run in the toddler trot (my own kids went to church this morning with A while I ran my race) I thought "that's going to be my son next year." It was my turn to be overcome with emotion. I can't wait till next year. Of course, I might just have to do the 5k. The 10k is just way to painful.

No comments: